August 6, 1860
Pastor Johannes Doerfler of Salem Lutheran Church conceived the idea to establish an Orphans’ Home in Toledo around the time he and his wife took two orphans into the church parsonage.
August 15, 1860
The Society for General Works of Mercy in the Sense of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in North America was formed.
July 7, 1862
The first Lutheran Orphans’ Home building was dedicated.
The Society’s first Trustees were elected and the Articles of Incorporation were received from the state.
The first Lutheran deaconess came to serve as housemother in the Orphans' Home.
The first addition to the Orphans’ Home was built for $1,500.
Resolutions were passed at the annual meeting to build a school house to serve the children of the Orphans’ Home.
The idea was presented to the Board of Trustees to construct a home for the aged, since there were elderly people living in the Orphans’ Home.
October 21, 1906
Das Altenheim or the Old Folks’ Home, located near the Orphans’ Home on Seaman Road, was dedicated.
April 6, 1919
The Society dedicated a large brick orphanage building, also known as “The Dormitory,” to replace the old, wooden orphanage building built in 1862.
October 25, 1953
A new 83-bed Home for the Aging was dedicated, replacing the building from 1906.
As part of the Society’s Centennial celebration, a new auditorium/shelter house was dedicated in the picnic grove during the Annual Festival.
The addition of a 60-bed nursing care unit, initially known as “the Annex,” was dedicated at the Home for the Aging.
The Society reluctantly suspended children’s services “as currently being rendered” and closed the Lutheran Orphans’ Home after all the children were found new homes.
May 24, 1966
The Lutheran Day Center opened to serve older people in the community, providing a variety of educational, recreational, service, and inspirational programs.
The Society implemented a revised residential program of child care, featuring group homes of 10 children or less.
November 30, 1969
A community-based group care home for boys was dedicated in Oregon, Ohio.
June 3, 1973
A second group care home for girls was dedicated in Millbury, Ohio.
April 27, 1975
A modern 50-bed nursing home (Unit 3) was dedicated, which included a third floor shell that would be finished in the early 1980s.
The Society’s third group care home was dedicated in Whitehouse, Ohio.
The Board of Trustees created a subsidiary corporation, Lutheran Housing Services, as a means to provide independent living facilities in locations throughout northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan.
May 26, 1981
Luther Crest senior apartment community in west Toledo was dedicated.
May 2, 1982
Luther Pines senior apartment community in Lima, Ohio, was dedicated.
June 27, 1982
Luther Grove senior apartment community in east Toledo was dedicated.
April 28, 1985
The Society officially expanded its elderly care services outward from the original Old Folks’ Home in east Toledo when the Napoleon Home for the Aging was dedicated.
May 19, 1985
Luther Oaks senior apartment community in Norwalk, Ohio, was dedicated.
September 8, 1985
Luther Meadow senior apartment community in Gibsonburg, Ohio, was dedicated.
Scroll to Top
LHS Foundation was incorporated to provide financial support for the charitable activities of the Society.
April 28, 1991
Bavarian Village independent living in Napoleon was dedicated.
The Society expanded its community-based group home program with the dedication of a home on Wynn Road in Oregon.
Partners in Treatment Family Weekend program was launched by the Family & Youth division.
April 19, 1994
Luther Woods senior apartment community in west Toledo was dedicated.
June 9, 1996
Luther Hills senior apartment community in Oregon was dedicated.
November 24, 1996
Luther Haus senior apartment community in Temperance, Michigan, was dedicated.
August 24, 1997
Lutheran Village at Wolf Creek in Holland, Ohio, was dedicated.
December 7, 1997
Toledo Home was rededicated after a $2.5 million renovation.
October 18, 1998
The Family & Youth transitional home for youth ages 17-19 was dedicated.
July 1, 1999
Lutheran Homes Society purchased Bethany Place retirement community in Fremont, Ohio.
Scroll to Top
Lutheran Homes Society entered into a management contract with Lutheran Memorial Home in Sandusky, Ohio.
May 7, 2000
The Altenheim assisted living apartments were dedicated at the Toledo Home.
Family & Youth established a school, in cooperation with the Lucas County Board of Education, to serve youth who had not been successful in a traditional classroom setting. Youth named the school the Maumee Bay Bright Star Academy.
February 4, 2001
Creekside independent living condominiums on the Lutheran Village at Wolf Creek campus were dedicated.
February 25, 2001
Alpine Village assisted living apartments were dedicated at the Napoleon Home.
Family & Youth acquired the Maumee Youth Center 13-acre campus for the treatment of children and youth diagnosed with Asperger’s Disorder.
The Society introduced LHS Community Services, a benevolent ministry that would reach out to seniors in community. The ministry’s initial program, Lutheran Interfaith Network of Caring Services (LINCS) was introduced to “link” seniors living in their own homes with appropriate community services that will enable them to remain independent.
Lutheran Homes Society and WSOS Community Action Commission partnered to form a senior center at Luther Meadow in Gibsonburg.
July 29, 2003
Kettle Run senior apartment community in Bucyrus, Ohio, was dedicated.
November 20, 2003
LHS partnered with Oregon Career and Technology Center to establish a satellite Adult Workforce Development Training Center in the Society’s renovated Centennial Hall in east Toledo.
January 1, 2005
Lutheran Memorial Home in Sandusky and Lutheran Homes Society officially joined ministries.
June 8, 2005
The first phase of Covenant Harbor senior apartment community in Oak Harbor, Ohio, was dedicated.
LHS Board of Directors established a formal Public Policy Advocacy Plan. Later that year, LHS was invited to testify before U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee.
October 14, 2008
LHS Family & Youth Services dedicated a new school building that incorporated energy-efficient “green” technology and historical aspects of the Society’s youth ministry.
November 19, 2008
Luther Ridge senior apartment community in Oregon was dedicated.
October 19, 2009
The Society was presented with LEED® Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for its high performance, energy efficient green school building.
Scroll to Top
April 29, 2010
The second phase of Covenant Harbor senior apartment community in Oak Harbor was dedicated.
August 6, 2010
The Society celebrated 150 years of ministry to youth and elderly with a weekend of festivities.
Lutheran Village at Wolf Creek renovated its facilities to provide person-centered care, with the Society’s other care campuses to follow.
The Society expanded its ministry with the addition of in-house therapy staff and began offering outpatient therapy services to community members.
The LHS Community Services ministry became a PASSPORT provider, for independent living assistance services and a HOME Choice provider for transition coordination services and independent living services, enabling the Society to help more people in the community.
April 10, 2012
Lutheran Memorial Home was rededicated after extensive renovations.
May 24, 2012
The Labuhn Center, a short-term skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility, was dedicated on the Toledo campus.
July 1, 2012
LHS Care Transitions was implemented to help individuals transition back to a home-based setting after a stay in a hospital, rehabilitation unit, or skilled nursing facility.
Scroll to Top